That being said, it's hard being already graduated from college and having expensive taste and high expectations in basically every single aspect of life when ur broke af.
How do I survive being broke and still faking my beaute you asked?
- I take shower and wash my hair. This may sound stupid to even include this in some beauty article writing think piece thing, but man -I look the worst when my hair is greasy and no dry shampoo could ever save me. A classic wash makes me look like a brand new woman. I use the basic dove body wash, some deep repair shampoo in orange bottle and L'oreal hair mask instead of a conditioner because my hair is as damaged as me. Sad.
- I plucked my eyebrows so they look somewhat okay.
- Sometimes I bleached the hell out of my upper lip hair. Subtle difference but very notable boost to my confidence system.
- I am almost blind and wear colored contacts so I could actually see the world and looking chic at the same time. Honestly it could be a pair of clear contacts too, but I'm already in too deep commitment of these grey lenses that I can not part ways and accept my normal boring dark brown eyes, at least for now.
- Sometimes I put on face mask when I'm feeling like a fancy asian lady. It helps to keep my skin moisturized and plump.
- I also sleep a lot. And I try to drink loads of water (especially at work) and I drink tea almost every day. I wish I could say things like, I swear by hot lemon water or other exotic detox liquid stuff but I haven't even touched my magic bullet blender in like 5 months. A good smoothie recipe though is banana, frozen kale and oat milk -it is tasty and kale is still heathy, right?
- During winter time I like to take baths. Oh my god. Just the word 'bath' relaxes me. Lush bath bombs and bubble bars smell so good, but again, expensive. Any bubble bath things from the drugstores is normally good though. You can also put few drops of tea tree oil (I like the smell, though some people might find it kinda weird) for its anti-bacterial function or other essential oil of your choice.
- Another tips to save on $$$ is to use multifunctional products; I use conditioner/hair mask to shave my legs, olive or coconut oil could be used to remove make up, to moisturize your skin and also you can lather your hair in them if you're feeling adventurous. Obviously the lists are endless and you can google 'beauty hacks' to explore your options.
- When all the beauty routine still not enough, make up comes to rescue! I have to be thankful for having an okay skin that doesn't really require a lot of cover up so I have stopped using foundation for few years now. Normally I would just clean and moisturize and then use concealer to brighten up my dark circles and sometimes the side of my nose. Then I would do my eyebrows. The trick is, you have to brush them so they look more naturell and also try to use the shade that match or slightly lighter than your hair color. After than I would do a cat eyes with my liquid liner (this makes the most difference, it opens up your eyes and makes you look 10000x prettier -but of course it takes time and practice to be happy with the result). When I'm running late or lazy though, I would just put on some mascara to my upper and bottom lashes. Then I'd put color on my cheeks to look alive and happier.
- This is basically what I do almost everyday after dragging myself out of bed / after brushing my teeth. I really do wish I could do some crazy make up tricks but this is tried, tested and true. It works and helps me look better than my original oogre face.
- On top of that I also try to smell decent, like it's not beauty per se -but I mean what's the point of looking cute but smelly. I like to put some flowery oil to my damp hair, deo to my armpits and spritz body sprays to the back of my neck, ear and my wrists
- I probably sound like a mad woman now, so I'll stop right here. Hope this is not too overwhelming because in my opinion this/my beauty regime is literally nothing compared to what I read on the internet or have heard from my friends. It is completely do-able and you wouldn't even need to take extra money from your almost non-existing digits in your saving account